KEEP MIAMI BEAUTIFUL
JUST FOR KIDS
Facts & Tips
Interesting Recycling Facts:
- Hotels will create 1.5 pounds of solid waste per day per room.
- 1 ton of solid waste is equal to 3.5 cubic yards of solid waste.
- Each person produces 3.5 pounds of solid waste per day.
- One three foot stack of newspapers is equal to one tree, approximately 30 feet tall.
- One three foot stack of newspaper weighs 100 pounds.
- To make one ton of virgin paper uses 17 trees (3 2/3 acres of forest).
- 62,860 trees must be cut to provide pulp for a single edition of the Sunday New York Times.
- Recycling one aluminum can saves the energy equivalent to one cup of gasoline.
- A steel mill can reduce its water pollution 76% and mining wastes 97% using scrap metal, such as steel cans, instead of iron ore.
- In the summer, nearly one third of all summer waste handled by garbage haulers consists of grass clippings.
- In the fall, leaves comprise as much as half of all waste generated by residents.
- One dollar out of every $11 spent on groceries goes to pay for packaging.
- 32% of all municipal waste is from packaging.
Each Year We Throw Away:
- Enough aluminum to rebuild the entire American Airlines air fleet 71 times.
- Enough steel to reconstruct Manhattan.
- Enough wood and paper to heat 5 million homes for 200 years.
- One third of all of the food we buy.
Here's how you can help.
- Be sure your trash goes in the trash can, not just near it.
- Pick up after yourself at a picnic or a fast-food restaurant.
- Do your part to help pick up trash around your home and school.
- Never throw anything from a car or truck.
- Always set an example by not littering, no matter where you are.